Monday, October 1, 2012

Lundi: Recipes

Anyone who knows me knows that I am a member of the Who Dat Nation. I saw my first Saints game when I was five and, though I went through a weird Seahawks thing in my youth (my family lived in Seattle when the team first appeared) I got over it. I rejoiced when the Saints won the Super Bowl and I am as low as any football fan can be now.

Even my daughter is a Saints fan. She knows the players, wears her Pierre Thomas jersey on game days and cried, down right bawled, yesterday at the end of that sad, sad loss to the Packers.

Thanks to Roger Goodell, my child understands that there ain't never gonna be nothing fair. And she's not the only one. I wouldn't want your karma even with your salary, sir.

Tears aside, I'm old enough to seek solace in an adult beverage. So here's a recipe for a delicious Bloody Mary straight out of another institution that is being "phased out" due to greed and ignorance: The Times-Picayune. Make two pitchers and have some friends over. Misery loves company.

4 cups tomato juice
1 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
10 to 12 drops of Tabasco sauce (more or less to taste)
2 tsps fresh lime juice
7 ounces vodka of choice
Lime wedges and celery stalks for garnish

Combine all ingredients but garnish in a glass pitcher and chill for at least an hour. Stir before serving. Pour into four ice-filled glasses and garnish as noted.

You might also like to add prepared horseradish for an extra kick.

Not feeling up to making your own - and who can blame you given the circumstances? I recommend Tabasco's own brand of Bloody Mary mix. It's delicious and a great pick me up without the vodka, too. Bon appetite ~

Header: Family: Because no matter what the outcome, we always love them via New Orleans Ladder

2 comments:

Timmy! said...

While I am not a bloody mary drinker, as a Raiders fan I can comiserate with you on the injustice that has been done to the Saints this year by the NFL, Pauline.

As I said elsewhere, on the one hand, I’m sorry Brigit got so upset, but on the other hand, I’m glad to see that she cares. I remember being sad enough to cry about Raiders losses when I was a kid (the “inaccurate deception” playoff loss to the Steelers comes to mind)…I feel bad for you and Brigit and all Saints fans… What is happening to them this year is just so unfair and unprecedented.

The hypocrisy is what really drives you crazy… and rightly so. That and the fact that you won’t see anyone calling out the league and Goodell for it in the MSM…

Pauline said...

I'm good to some degree; I'm too old to even believe in fair anymore. But when you make my kid cry, the gloves are off.

Another round of Bloodies over here y'all. But none for Mr. Potato Head Goodell. He's clearly high already.