Monday, October 15, 2012

Lundi: Recipes

It surely is that time of year and, because I made them yesterday after carving pumpkins on Saturday, I'm rerunning my all time favorite recipe for roasted pumpkin seeds. Yum!

This one comes from Silver RavenWolf's book Halloween which (witch?) is full of recipes, crafts and workings to fit the season. As I've noted before, the real secret to these gems is a quick dunk in boiling water before the seeds are roasted. Cooked with intention, the seeds are a great way to feed you family, body and soul.

Seeds from one large or two small pumpkins
1/4 cup (or to taste) sea or kosher salt (for protection)
2 tbsps olive oil (for health)
2 tbsps dried, crushed rosemary leaves (for prosperity)

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.

Rinse the pumpkin seeds and boil in water until they turn grayish and begin to sink to the bottom of the pot.

Meanwhile, line a baking sheet with foil. In a bowl, combine the salt, oil and rosemary.

When the seeds are ready, drain them in a colander and pat dry. Put them in the bowl with the other ingredients and mix well to coat the seeds. Pour them onto the baking sheet and spread evenly in a single layer.

Pop the baking sheet in the oven and bake until golden brown. I like mine dark and crunchy so I generally bake them about 30 minutes. It all depends on your oven and your taste. Bon appetite ~

Header: Casper comic book cover via the now - unfortunately - defunct Tumblr Uncle Strangely's Dark Mansion of Big Crap Scares; I love this cover as the witch in red reminds me a little of the awesome Sharon Needles

4 comments:

Timmy! said...

Love the pumpkins seeds, Pauline... and the jack-o-lanterns too!

That comic bbok cover is awesome too! Seems a little more "mature" than I remember for "Casper", but I like it.

;-)

Pauline said...

Pumpkin seeds are a treat for sure; and good for you as I understand.

That cover is kind of scary. The ghost on the broom with the witch certainly does not appear at all "friendly", does he/she?

Charles L. Wallace said...

Thank you, Pauline -
I enjoy pumpkin seeds and have baked 'em up before. Past few years I haven't really bothered with festivities and such, but with Wendy here, I reckon we will.

That's right, I have a wee, blonde girlfriend named Wendy. She's good and little, but not a witch :-) Continuing the odd set of circumstances, I drive a white F-150 named Big Casper (THAT's a long story!), and Wendy has a son named Harvey. Sometime, ya just can't make up stuff like this!

Pauline said...

That is great, Wally! Serendipity is not coincidence - and quite honestly I don't believe in the latter. Everything comes together sooner or later, doesn't it?

Let me know how you pumpkin seeds turn out, and give Wendy and Harvey my best :)