Monday, September 19, 2011

Lundi: Recipes

Today is International Talk Like a Pirate Day and to celebrate, I’m offering a bit of cross-pollination with Triple P.

This post I did over there back in March offers a recipe for the delightful Creole favorite known as turtle soup.  This is Leon E. Soniat Jr.’s recipe from his encyclopedic cookbook La Bouche Creole, and it comes with a little superstition from old New Orleans as well.

Did turtle soup as we know it today descend from our seafaring ancestors’ love for sea turtle?  It would be hard to say for sure, but on ITLAP Day you want to believe it did.  Bon appetite ~

Header: Lafitte’s Blacksmith Shop on Rue Bourbon in New Orleans; another Laffite legend that never really was

2 comments:

Timmy! said...

I still say I'll be happy to give it a try if someone else is doing the cooking and preparation, Pauline...

Pauline said...

I agree. If I did make it at home, I'd need a long weekend and I'd have to start after sundown. The squirming turtle meat is a bit more "reality" than I'm willing to suffer in my own kitchen.