Friday, October 15, 2010

Vendredi: Two of Clubs

Time once again to discuss the divinatory meanings of playing cards. At some point here at HQ I may discuss the Tarot but, being true to my rootwork roots if you will, means using playing cards for divination. Even if the Tarot are decidedly prettier to look at, as witnessed at yesterday’s header.

One thing that you will want to keep in mind if you decide to take up cartomancy is that you really should have a separate deck of cards for the purpose. These can be any playing cards you like. For instance, I have one with pirate designs on them drawn by the famous illustrator N.C. Wyeth. I also have a simple and very plane deck of Bicycle brand cards that I got at the market. I try to gear the deck I use to the person who has asked for a reading. Not everyone is on board with a dead guy lying in the sand next to a chest of treasure. Even if it’s just a drawing.

The deck(s) you use for divination should be handled by no one but you (except when you are asking a querent to cut the cards; more on that later). You should also avoid using them for gaming. Even Go Fish with the kids is a bad idea. The only exception I have to this rule is Solitaire. A quiet game of Solitaire with just you, your cards, a candle burning and maybe the dog snoring nearby is an act of divination and magick. This exercise allows you to interact with your cards, bend them, shuffle them and meditate on their meanings. I find that a winning hand usually signifies something good is coming my way that day. It won’t be anything extravagant but it will put a smile on my face. Try it; I think you’ll be surprised by the results.

The two of clubs is a card of laziness. It usually indicates that something that needs doing is either being put off or ignored all together. How urgent that thing is will be determined by the two of club’s place in the spread. If this does not fit in to your reading, the card may be pointing toward some kind of disappointment or an opposing force that is pressing on your querent.

Work with your cards this weekend if you can. Try to catch a quick game of Solitaire and feel the cards in your hands. They will impart their energy if you let them. Though I rarely guarantee anything (because the Universe gives us few guarantees) I will guarantee that.

Bon chance ~

Header: The Fortune Teller by J. F. Bazille

2 comments:

Timmy! said...

The two of clubs must be my special card then, Pauline...

Pauline said...

Geez, me too. Procrastination is my middle name.