Monday, August 29, 2011

Lundi: Recipes

One of my favorite fish dishes has always been trout amandine.  Mom made fish every Friday when I was growing up but I have never become a big fan.  Aside from salmon and the old school tuna salad sandwich, it has just never been my thing.  I like a fish done amandine, though.  As long as it’s not overcooked, I think any kind of fish benefits from the addition of lots of butter and a delicious coating of thinly sliced almonds.  Mom often substituted walnuts for the almonds because we had a tree in the back yard and, to my taste, that’s even better.

½ cup thinly sliced almonds, walnuts or pecans
2 sticks butter
2 whole eggs
1 cup milk
1 cup flour
Salt and pepper to taste
6 filets about 6 to 8 ounces each of trout, halibut or any white fish
Oil for pan frying

Sauté the sliced nuts in butter until they are golden.  Set aside and keep warm.

Combine milk and eggs in a bowl.  Combine flour with salt and pepper in another.  Dredge cleaned and patted dry fillets first in the egg mixture, then in the flour mixture.

Pour enough oil into a deep frying pan to fry the fish but not drench them.  Heat the oil until it is hot but not smoking.  Lay trout fillets in the oil and fry to a golden brown ; about five minutes per side.

Drain the fillets on paper towels.

Serve one fillet per person, spooning the warm butter mixture over them just before they come to the table.  Bon appetite ~

Header:  Still Life with Trout by Jeremy Mann

4 comments:

Charles L. Wallace said...

Mmmmm! Wonderful (and got me hankerin' for a nice pecan meuniere... maybe even a catfish!) {Well, actually, I have cheated and did a fresh mozz roll with pancetta, washed down with Chelada, but I digress} Anyway, ya got me wantin' to hit the kitchen! :-) Thankee.

Pauline said...

You are very welcome, sir. Some friends are heading down to Valdez this weekend so I'm thinking about fresh silver salmon. Yum!

Timmy! said...

And we still have some halibut in the freezer, Pauline...

Pauline said...

We do, but it's just not as good as that fresh-from-the-water salmon.