Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Mardi: Herbal-Wise

Happy May Day to one and all and welcome to HQ’s 500th post; quite a milestone if I do say so myself.  This seems an excellent opportunity to thank you all for your support.  I sincerely appreciate it.

The first of May always makes me think of flowers.  The fact that there is not a bloom to be seen outside my window is no reason to keep from thinking of nature’s jewels.  So let us look at the passion flower which, as Scott Cunningham points out, is not so about excitement magickally speaking as it is about serenity.

Passion flowers grow in long, stalky vines that curl around and climb up whatever they are close to, seeking the sun.  They are also symbolic in Catholic folklore of the Passion of Jesus.  Because of this combination of nature and history, passion flowers are most used in hoodoo to impart peace and draw lasting love. 

Root workers will cultivate passion flower at their front gate or on their front porch to bring harmony into the home and bless the house.  A piece of passion flower root, taken from the plant without uprooting it all together and if possible dressed with Love Me Oil, should be carried in a red flannel mojo to draw love.

In Wicca, passion flower is also planted near the home or put in vases indoors to bring peace and quiet arguments.

Old wives advised wearing the lacey, purple flowers on the lapel or in the hair as a way for both men and women to draw the affection and friendship of others.  The flowers were also thought to assist insomniacs when placed under the pillow at bed time.  Bonne chance ~

Header: Vogue c 1952, photo by Irving Penn via Mid-Century

2 comments:

Timmy! said...

Wow, 500 posts already, Pauline? Congratulations! Time flies when you are having fun, I guess.

I'm not familiar with passion flowers (not sure if they will grow up here) but it will be flower planting time soon.

I like the picture too. Very "Mad Men" -esque.

Pauline said...

Yeah; it kind of snuck up on me. 500 does seem like a lot.

Passion flowers are warm weather climbers, I think, like bouganvilia - hope I spelled that correctly :)

The picture is cool, I think; I like the dog.